Monday, June 13, 2011

Now what....

Amy here, I thought I would add my two cents to this blog and share my health goals right now.

For me since I am nursing, but also trying to get back to my pre pregnancy weight, however I really hate saying that and I hate when I hear that, because I think its not nearly as important as making sure my baby is getting good vitamins and minerals, but I, like every woman who has had a baby, want to feel fit and happy with my body again. Since I truly suck at eating healthy and balanced when I am pregnant, I feel like I owe it to the health of my baby to eat healthy now that I am not barfing up everything, or taking sick medicine to keep the acid from coming up. Can I just say again, I LOVE not being pregnant. Give me the saggy baggy stretched out tummy over being pregnant any day! I have been LOVING being able to eat food again, and to actually enjoy it!

It's not so much about calorie counting for me, as it is getting the most out of my foods per calorie. Does that make sense?

For me the HARDEST thing about having a baby is finding time to eat. And now I have a toddler to boot so its even harder this time around. When you nurse you feel like you are starving ALL the time, and so what do you end up eating? The crackers, chips, cookies and stuff you can just grab and go.

I have always been good about eating fruits and veggies with my meals, but not as a snack. So that is my first goal:

1. Eat 1 fruit as a snack each day, and 1 veggie.

I tried to pick up some healthier snack stuff at the Good Earth, but I really had a hard time finding much. And even then Kory told me it wasn't as healthy as I thought. So not only did I pay twice as much for it, I could have gotten the good stuff instead, and been just as well off... CRAP.

So does anyone have any suggestions on healthy CONVENIENT foods that will help me stay full and are packed full of lots of nutrients? This can be anything even if it's something I could make and freeze or make and store.

I know trail mix is a big one, but I only like trail mix with Chocolate, and for my babies sake I am trying to cut out the chocolate until her digestive track is a little more developed, as it tends to make babies more gassy and fussy right now. And since the poor thing has a little bit of acid reflux we don't want to make her tummy more upset.

2. Cut out chocolate

I know compared to most peoples diets right now, this is weak. Anything more than this would just overwhelm me completely...

For exercise I am doing a little walking a couple times a week, and then sticking to my after pregnancy workouts the hospital recommends. Which is just a few crunches, leg lifts, and butt ups. But hey a starts a start!

Happy living folks!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite afternoon snack is to eat an apple with some good adam's peanut butter. It's gets a fruit in for the day but the fat from the pb leaves me more satisfied. Get the regular pb, not the no stir. It's just peanuts and salt, so it doesn't come with any guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butter is all the rage right now because of the MUFU research. (Monounsaturated-fat....something)

    It has been shown to shrink belly fat which is a different kind of fat than other parts of the body. (Brown fat that produces hormones) Peanut butter, olives, avocados, etc.

    Plus like Keri said they do satisfy you more. Maggie and I love to mix sour cream with an avocado and dip the Santitas chips in it. Those chips are only $2 and only have corn, oil, and salt. Another snack we eat is green olives, pistachios, and raisins. I picked up that habit from Spain.

    ReplyDelete